Monday, February 4, 2019

Young Artists Expressing Themselves

Introducing my students to journals was one of the best ideas ever. I wonder why I have never thought of it before. There is such pride in working in the journals and in having their drawings together in one place. I must add this: my students' work is not much like the popular craft hobby known as "Journaling"! We rather concentrate on a drawing of the day, and then, afterwards, the work can be embellished with affirmations and even half a page of writing.
 
Over time, the journals quickly became the students' pride and joy. Often they take them home to show parents their progress or to work for hours more at home. I started handing out small moleskine journals too, so that they have pocket drawing books to take on holidays and weekend trips. 
 
This young student of mine wanted to conform, by trying realism and rubbing out, rubbing out, trying to get it realistic and perfect. To my great joy, I could eventually guide her to relax, to forget about realism and about what others were doing, and to do her own "thing", which turned out delightful!  Here are two self-portraits brimming with joy and expressionism:


 
Self-portraits full of personality!
From a formal point of view, I was happy with the
placing of the eyes and other features, and with
the clever use of charcoal for the hair.

 
As her confidence grew, the student would say:
" I like animation!" Well, why not...and I thought drawing a violin from memory like that was quite an achievement!

 
And then came the  discovery of Manga eyes on the Internet!
To Google when they are at home and then draw from
the cell phone is something that I am not going to forbid.
 It is also a handy reference tool when they travel.

 
Let there be eyes! Anime eyes! 
 I now have my two large books of  Manga art by Christopher Hart available for reference in class. The opportunity is there to practice anime if my students are so inclined. It is not easy! I know, I tried and have a full sketch book to show for it! My reasoning is that anything we do in class, portrait, landscape, anime, etc, can in a few years' time become careers for my students.
 
Nothing gives me more joy, than realising that each student is developing in a natural way, doing what he/she does best.
There will always be great diversity and never a row
of identical projects coming out of the workshops!


2 comments: