Thursday, January 24, 2019

Through the Looking Glass

I found this title in a book with the work of William Blake: "The Power of the Imagination", words I often use to inspire my students. They know that they can create works which are totally different from that of anybody else. Dividing their canvas or journal to get the "through the looking-glass" feeling was a great idea!
 

 
This is the first of the "transformation" paintings which
 I want to discuss with you.
How delightful! On the left there is a girl in a
suburban scene. I loved the broken wall.
Is that where you escape to a different world?
I really do not like to work on their nerves,
by trying to analise their vision or
ask "why" questions continiously!

Then the girl passes though the imaginary divide into
a forest filled with foliage, where her outfit is more
adventurous and she now has the curled horn of a faun. I love the serene and contented little face! How well the colours work together! We do not do colour wheels and formal boring lessons, so the yellow/ purple complimentary colours happened spontaneously!
 


 
 
The second painting, part of a journal
is the work of an eight-year old. On the right-hand side of the journal, a tiny girl, drawn in pencil, stands next to a plain tree and contemplates the "normal" scene, which is a watercolour of a green field with distant trees and sky. Some birds were done in
white oil crayon to magically
appear through the paint.
 
On the left side, the same tree shows curly branches which form an eye and an owl.  The total sky turns into a vertical rainbow. Do not miss the little white cloud with a tiny house drifting by!
Imagination is alive and  thriving!
 
Being almost 75, I always have a nap after the art class, as I live on adrenaline while amazing things happen in their journals or on their canvasses! I love what they are doing and specially the great originality my students possess. I think I postpone breathing until afterwards!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment